I am finally sitting down to write the conclusion to my Halloween costume saga. Like I’m sure it was for many families, it has been a busy week around our household getting ready for Halloween and our upcoming trips to Mexico and Ethiopia.
There may have been a little more Netflix time this week than usual but trust me, the boys haven’t minded filling their boots with shows like Hotel Transylvania, Puss in Boots and Scooby-Doo. So while they were streaming, I was sewing and finally got their costumes done!
And let me say, there were some twists, unexpected turns and yes, even a happy ending to this costume tale.
Now, where was I?
In my last post (which yes, was nearly a whole week ago, oops) I had pretty much finished up the cat costume. All I had left to do was sew the tail to the back of the jogging pants. I ended up doing this with the sewing machine to make sure it was nice and strong. I also made him some kitty paws by gluing grey pads on his mitts, which he loved.
When my son finally put the whole thing on for school on Friday, he was thrilled and meowed his way out to the car.
For the spider costume, I ended up gluing on a ton of little googly eyes to make a great big spider eye on the hood of my son’s costume. It’s not exactly true-to-life but he loved the way it turned out.
I connected all of his spider arms together with some black yarn and then tied those to some wrist bands for him to wear. Unfortunately during the day at school, the yarn frayed and so his arms were no longer connected but a quick repair later they’re all tied up again with stronger string (albeit silver string, I told him it was ‘web’) and are ready to go for trick-or-treating.
I actually ran out of time (or maybe I ran out of patience after gluing all those googly eyes) to make those cool tea-strainer goggles but I’ve tucked the strainers away with my Halloween stuff for future use.
So, after three weeks of chipping away at it my boys finally got themselves spider and cat costumes. And they were so proud to head off to school yesterday all dressed up. This was the happy ending.
Unfortunately I slept through our alarm yesterday morning though, so it was a mad dash to get them dressed up and ready for school. In the end, this is the only pic I got of them together and I snapped it as they were heading to the front office to get their late slips. Oops.
After a full day of running around and being in class, we suffered a few wardrobe malfunctions. As mentioned, the poor spider’s legs became disconnected, he lost a few googly eyes and also my poor kitty’s tail popped a few holes along the seam. All of these were easily fixed thankfully.
I said I’d make them spider and cat costumes but I never said they’d be durable!
Lastly, I said there was an unexpected twist to this costume tale. As I was sewing up the little holes in my son’s cat tail, I asked him to go get the hoodie so I could look it over and make sure it was ready for tonight. And as I noticed him running all over the house looking for it, I came to a horrible realization.
He left the cat costume hoodie at school yesterday. No trick-or-treating for this little kitty tonight. Sigh.
After he indeed came back empty-handed, l had a look around the house myself and that costume is definitely nowhere to be found. After he had a little cry over that one, we trudged down the stairs to have a look in the Halloween bin at other costumes he could wear. Thankfully, his eyes lit up when I pulled out the skeleton costume so all is well but this kitty is now a skeleton.