If you happened to read my post from yesterday then you’ll know I’m heading to Golden this weekend for the inaugural Golden Ultra. My head is swimming with all kinds of thoughts about this one so it’s kind of perfect that it’s Thursday. Thanks, as always, to Running With Spoons for hosting…
1. Holy crap, Golden is this weekend. Seemed like forever ago I decided to do this one and now I am leaving in T-3 hrs. Gulp.
2. Friends are picking me up after I drop the boys off at school and I’m actually kind of looking forward to the drive. It’ll take us about 7-8 hrs to get there but I’m just a passenger and I’m excited – I like road trips and it’s been ages since I drove through the Rockies.
3. Did I mention it’s the second week of school around here? And did I mention I’ve taken on the role of PAC President for our school? Yeah, it is and I did. Needless to say it’s been a very busy two weeks of planning meetings, writing newsletters, discussing split classes and parking lot policy. Probably a good taper time distraction!
4. I always pack lots for an ultra but this one has required lots of extra thought. 3 days. So that’s 3 days of stuff. 3 days of clothes. 3 days of recovery. 3 days of clothing possibilities because who knows what the weather will be like! I’ve spent a lot of time in my closet sorting through clothes and planning outfits.
5. I’m kind of proud of how streamlined my stuff is though. All shoes and bulky stuff in the big bag, 1 plastic bag with each day’s clothes, both drop bags all packed for Saturday and then spare gear, electronics, extra food. Everything except the shoe bag goes in my duffel with my regular clothes and I’m packed!
6. Snow. They’ve been getting snow up there lately. I’m still in summer mode.
7. Bear spray. That is all.
8. These views though. This is what’s going to make the bear spray, potential snow and 3 long days so worth it. I love me a good view.
9. I always joke before a big race that I might die. I had a good laugh at my last race because the finish line water was actually sponsored by a funeral home! How appropriate.
10. How many pairs of shoes does it take to run a 3-day ultra? Well, I wish I had a fresh pair for each day but no, I’ll just be bringing my current favourites and then a second, older pair to run in. Plus my favourite Mizunos for before and after the races, recovery shoes and flip flops. That’s a lot of shoes.
11. So as if all the planning and packing wasn’t onerous enough, our power even decided to go out last night around 8:00 pm to make things a little more interesting. Thank goodness I had most things already done. It’s pretty hard to hunt for gear in a dark house! Besides, the power outage was the perfect excuse to take a break and meet a friend for coffee.
I didn’t even go into my pre-race jitters, my anxiety over the weather possibilities or that general fear about whether I’m ready for this or not! But to see what everyone else is thinking out loud and rambling about today, check out the linkup here.